Whilst I was dismantling the AK Rail for my recent yearly battery pack balancing, I noticed a grave problem that needed attention immediately.
The main cable via which the TWIKE is charged 98% of the time showed grave signs of wear.
I really don’t understand how this could have happened – I’m just very glad that I caught it in time.
It puzzles me that both ends were without insulation, not only the cable but also close to the crimped connector. The phase cable was partially burnt… but not where the cable was already weakened?
Queue the music and lets get this cleaned up!
A quick visit to the cellar later, I’ve got all the tools I need to get the job done properly.
Some 5 minutes of removing cable insulation, cutting shrink tubing to length, crimping and shrinking later, I’m pretty happy with the result.
It’s time to re-install the cable and think about ways to make this issue happen less or, ideally, not at all.
The new cables look very good when connected to the line filter.
In order to minimize the amount the cable connected to the crimped cable lugs moves, I’ve added a wider piece of shrink tubing to the end of the orange cable and attach it with a zip-tie.
Looks clean and professional.
Let’s see how long this solution will last.